“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” –Annie Dillard

Friday, April 1, 2011

Making a Feather Hairclip

I love, love, love feathers! They were all over at my wedding, in the decor, floral arrangements and bouquets, in my hair and even on my garter.  I'd love to use feathers in my personal style on a regular basis for nights out or special occasions, but the ostrich feather fascinator I wore in my hair that day was *not* cheap. So I figured...why not try making my own?

       
This is what I used, all of which can be found at Michael's-
  • a hot glue gun
  • three Peacock feathers
  • a small piece of black felt
  • a two-pronged metal hair clip
  • 'clearance rack' jewelry ornamentation


I started by cutting the stems of the feathers down to about one and a half to two inches long. Then I cut a small piece of black felt and arranged the feathers so that the end pieces of the stems met on the felt. Taking a hot glue gun, I glued each feather in place and let the glue set for a few minutes until it was completely cool and hard. I took the piece of ornamental jewelry and glued it on top of where all the stems met. Then I glued a two-pronged metal hair clip onto the back of the felt. Using a tiny pair of scissors, I trimmed any excess felt that was showing, and voila!



I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment